Saturday, February 18, 2012

Proposal!


**disclaimer - this very well may be the gushiest blog that I have ever written. Beware...**

If you haven't already guessed by the title... I AM ENGAGED!! After two years of friendship with Lucas, four months of wanting to date him, and one year of exclusively dating him, it has happened. :) I am completely and utterly in love with Lucas Duraccio, and I am exciting to spend the rest of eternity with him. He is everything that I could ever want in a man; he is kind, caring, funny, sweet, compassionate, athletic, musical, spiritual, intelligent, understanding, sensitive... and I know that he loves me unconditionally. There is something special in knowing that you can be completely yourself around somebody... that you can tell him anything, confess your deepest darkest corners to him, and be your dorky self in front of him. Agh, I love him!!!

OK, ok, on to the proposal story. :)

So, in the beginning of January Lucas and I went ring shopping together. I picked out my top 3 rings from a few jewelers, and told Lucas that he could pick (though he knew my very favorite, lol.) So for the last month I have just been waiting for the signs that he was going to propose. The sunday before he proposed, he told me that he was going to get my parents numbers from my phone eventually... well, later that Sunday, I was playing Zelda by myself in Lucas' apartment (he was talking to his parents in his bedroom) and all of the sudden I get a call from my mom.

Mom: "Why did Lucas just try calling me?"
Kara: ".............. mom, I don't think I'm supposed to know that."
Mom: "Why?.... oh crap! Is he there?"
(Lucas peeks his little head into the room.)
Kara : " .. .. . uh... "
Mom: "Ah! Don't tell him I told you, DON'T TELL HIM I TOLD YOU!"
Kara: "... uh, ok see you later!"

Lucas never suspected, MWAHAHAHA.

Later that week my dad called and spilled the beans. Bless Lucas' little heart, trying to keep this all from me while my family can't keep a secret. So from Sunday forward I was suspicious of everything Lucas did.

It's a tradition for Lucas and I to go on a real date at least once a week. So on Wednesday Lucas tells me

Lucas: "Oh, I have a date idea for this weekend! Let's go to this concert in Salt Lake."
Kara: (instantly suspicious.) "Oh, what is the concert?"
Lucas: "Um, it has violins and singing in it."
Kara: "OK."
Lucas: "We have to dress up fancy though.
Kara: (even more suspicious...) "Sounds great!"

So Saturday arrives, and I curl my hair and put on my witch dress. (It is black and purple and always reminds me of what a witch would wear.) Lucas came over, and he was looking as handsome as always. As you are probably aware, last Saturday was BEAUTIFUL (50 degrees is February? Yes please!) so just as Lucas and I are about to head up to Salt Lake City...

Lucas: "Hey... since it's such a nice day outside, why don't we go and enjoy it?"
Kara: "Ok! What do you want to do?"
Lucas: "I don't know, ... go to the park where we had our first kiss?"
Kara: INSTANT SUSPICION ONCE AGAIN. ".... sounds good to me!"

So we go to the park (little do I know that our friends Dawna, Sean, and Emily are watching/taking pictures of this whole event) and we walk around the park a few times. Eventually, we end up at the bench near where we had our first kiss.


We sit there for a while, kissing and saying sweet nothings to each other, when suddenly Lucas says, "Kara... what if I told you I loved you?

Kara: "Well, Bear (my nickname for Lucas has and forever will be bear) I would have to say that I love you too."
Lucas: "What if I told you... I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you?"
Kara: (so suspicious that I'm practically screaming) "well, I would say that I want to spend the rest of my life with you, too."
Lucas: "What if..." (Lucas gets down on one knee) "I got down on one knee..."

Kara: Pure excitement radiating through face
Lucas: "and what if... I took out this little box from my pocket..."

Kara: (Still saying nothing, but getting more and more excited.)
Lucas: "and what if... what if THIS WAS TOTALLY A FAKE PROPOSAL?" (Lucas opens ring box... and there is no ring.)
Kara: "wha...."

(notice how I am gently poking the box...)
Kara: (now realizing this is a prank and that engagement is not going to occur): "Gaaaaahhhhh!" (slaps Lucas and jumps up.)

Kara: "Are you serious right now?"
Lucas: "Hahahaha, I totally got you!"

(The following pictures show the fleeting emotions that I felt. Bummed - defeated - "you think you are so funny, don't you?" - "I forgive.")







Later that night, after taking me out to burgers to further throw me off from his real proposal, Lucas took me to the state capitol building. We found a secluded spot that overlooked all of Salt Lake City, including the Salt Lake Temple. We kissed, hugged a lot (it was kinda cold) and just talked until suddenly, Lucas was on one knee. At first, I kind of shouted "You better not be faking again..." Lucas just smiled, reached into his pocket, and pulled out the same box he had earlier. With a smile, Lucas said the words "Kara, will you marry me?" (At least, that is what I think he said... I kind of don't remember what he said that very moment.. my brain kind of just stopped.) All I could do was look at the ring box and say, "There is a ring in there...". Finally, I remembered that a response was kind of necessary in these sort of situations so...

I said yes.

We are to be sealed for time and all eternity on June 15th in the Bountiful Utah temple. If you are reading my blog... you are probably invited to the reception. :) I have never been more happy than I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment